The ultimate harness for XC hike and fly, Vol Biv, or long walk ins.
Ozone F*Race: Ozone have just released a production version of the F*Race, the ultralight pod harness that was designed for the 2019 Red Bull X-Alps.
- Antoine Girard was involved in the development of the production model, which weighs just 1.5kg in the M size including pod, cockpit and back protection. It’s only 50g or so heavier than the X-Aps version, but Ozone say it’s more durable, more comfortable and has better protection.
- Its passive inflatable protection system covers the pilot’s back and seat area, and it achieved a 25G impact rating on all tests. The inflatable rear fairing, which is primarily there to improve aerodynamics, offers additional impact protection.
- Nitinol rods add rigidity to the bucket seat giving good support to the pilot, and being designed for vol-bivouac it has plenty of storage space, with tethers for gadgets in the pockets that are accessible in flight. It has a hydration pouch pocket with tube routings, instrument cockpit and a second removable cockpit with extra stowage space.
- The leg straps have toggle closures and Ozone say the harness is simple and intuitive to get into.
The F*Race is an ultralite vol-biv harness for pilots on serious backcountry missions. Designed for the Red Bull X-Alps, it is uncompromising in its lightness. At just 1.4kg total weight, with pod, cockpit, and back protection, this is the most competitive full-featured ultralight XC harness available today.
Aerodynamics & Performance
- With a full cocoon, fairing, cockpit, and integrated ventral rescue container, the F*Race is slick and low-drag. The harness structure is comfortable and easy to configure, with two lumbar adjustments and excellent back support. A bucket seat design has been engineered using the F*Lite dyneema thread distribution pattern. Nitinol adds rigidity to and support to the upper torso area.
- The F*Race features a passive inflatable protection, which is highly efficient. It achieved a 25G impact rating in all tests, well below the certification requirement. This inflatable protection covers the entire seat and back areas. The rear fairing not only provides aerodynamic performance, but also increases impact protection.
Storage & Features
- Critical to any vol-biv effort is the capacity, ease of use, and comfort of the equipment storage option. With extensive input and testing by legendary vol-biv expert, Antoine Girard, the F*Race provides a large storage volume in addition to the excellent protection, meaning that you can have it all: Storage, Protection, Comfort, and Aerodynamics. Extensive pockets, including for in-flight use: A left side storage with safety clip anchors for gear, a pocket under the rescue container, a back hydration pocket with tube channel, functional instrument cockpit, and a second removable cockpit with large storage pocket.
Easy on Launch
- The leg straps can be fully opened, with easy to use toggle buckles. Gearing up is simple, with all of the attachment points and adjustments easy to find. After a 1500m ascent, you want a simple and intuitive gear-up process.
X-Alps Tested, Adventure Refined
- The final production F*Race is vastly improved over the X-Alps version. Within 50 grams of the original weight, the production version is more durable, far more comfortable (thanks to the new bucket seat design and nitinol structure), much better protection, incredible packability, and more.
|S||<175 cm||1.4 kg|
|M||170 cm - 185 cm||1.5 kg|
|L||> 185 cm||1.7 kg|