The IOTA DLS signals the start of a new development philosophy, combining structural innovation with a unique mix of materials, bringing a new level of excellence in performance, handling and weight to the high B class.
|Fee (per item)
Products and courses cannot be purchased together.
Please complete your purchase or empty your basket before continuing.
Add to basket
Choose below for actual price:
Advance IOTA DLS: A New Era Begins
- The IOTA 3 becomes the IOTA DLS. We have been using our extra time due to later release to further develop the performance, handling and weight of our top-end B wing, achieving a new level of excellence in all three of these qualities. Welcome to the new IOTA DLS.
- The DLS stands for DURABLE LIGHTWEIGHT STRUCTURE and signals the start of a new development philosophy combining structural innovation with a unique mix of materials. Starting from a weight of 3.75* kgs the new IOTA DLS can be up to 700 gms lighter than its equivalent predecessor, and where weight is concerned it belongs in the light wing category. However, it is equivalent to the previous IOTA in terms of robustness and useful life, thanks to DLS.
- The fundamental concept of the new IOTA DLS stems from the exceptional success and notable performance of the SIGMA 11. The result is a marked performance improvement over the IOTA 2. Both extreme flight behaviour and passive safety have been considerably improved. Turbulence is better accommodated by the wing – without losing any of the important environmental air behaviour feedback to the pilot. A welcome degree of flying comfort for the pilot encourages longer, more relaxed and less tiring cross countries.
- The IOTA DLS is the high performance XC specialist – through and through. With this High-B wing you can enjoy maximal flying comfort over very long distances. Now constructed with DURABLE LIGHTWEIGHT STRUCTURE, the IOTA DLS qualifies as a light wing. This development progress starts a new era – without compromising robustness or long life.
High B paraglider
- The IOTA 3 becomes the IOTA DLS. We have been using our extra time to further develop the performance, handling and weight of our top-end B wing, achieving a new level of excellence in all three of these qualities. Welcome to the new IOTA DLS. The DLS stands for DURABLE LIGHTWEIGHT STRUCTURE and signals the start of a new development philosophy combining structural innovation with a unique mix of materials.
Performance: Efficient pitch control
- The high degree of pitch stability provided by the profile conserves energy, especially when gliding in turbulent air, thus conserving glide performance. An efficient pitch control system with C-handles delivers the two-liner feeling while flying for distance, and sophisticated 3X3D shaping gives the IOTA DLS wing a perfectly smooth leading edge.
Light & durable: Durable Lightweight Structure (DLS)
- The new IOTA DLS is offered at weights from 3.9 kgs, without compromise in lifespan or robustness. Highly stressed areas, especially the entire upper surface and all ribs, are made from a variety of robust and low strech quality Porcher Sports fabrics.
- Durable Lightweight Structure (DLS) meets the needs of the times. Many pilots want lightweight, but still robust products. They deliberately don't want ultra-light gliders because they don't completely fulfil their desired level of durability and require special care in handling. Finally, DLS gives pilots what they want.
Predictable: Smooth & reassuring behaviour
- Optimal lift distribution and ideally coordinated fabric tensions result in better turbulence absorption with comfortably damped canopy feedback. This results in reassuringly predictable flight behaviour and a very comfortable flying experience.
- The IOTA DLS is classified as an EN/LTF B wing and is intended for pilots with several years of flying experience who fly regularly and already have some cross-country flying experience.
- An active flying style using brakes, speed system and/or riser control (C-Handles) is required with the IOTA DLS.
- The pilot must be able to recognise canopy disturbances at their onset, and be able to oppose them by means of adequate, appropriate and timely control response. In addition he must be fully familiar with the normal fast descent techniques and be capable of using them when required.
- Only then the pilot will be able to make use of the high performance potential of the IOTA DLS, and fly far across the countryside, relaxed and safe.
Durable Lightweight Structure (DLS)
- DLS combines a whole number of small but decisive innovations, which in total enable a considerable reduction in weight. The material mix of lightweight and conventional materials is better coordinated and even more material is saved through targeted geometric optimisation of various components. This is achieved without compromising robustness and durability. More about DLS
- The strongly curved and flow-sensitive area of the leading edge is now integrated by a triple graduation of 3D shaping. The result: a crease-free leading edge and smooth upper wing surface for clean airflow and more performance.
Efficient pitch-control system with C handles
- The IOTA DLS has an up-to-date Pitch-Control-System with C handles. This system transmits an element of C line input to the B line level so as to maintain an ideal profile shape. Even in accelerated flight the wing can be actively flown and steered by means of this C/B arrangement, giving a realistic two-liner feeling.
Latest Edelrid Pro Dry lines
- The IOTA DLS is equipped throughout with colour-differentiated Pro Dry Lines from Edelrid. This latest generation of uncovered line is a further development of the highly respected 8000 Aramid line and has a 60% higher humidity exclusion factor. This line is extremely stable in length and demonstrates above-average resistance to failure after long use.
Standard colours: Fire, Grey, Royal, Spectra.
What is the IOTA DLS like to fly?
- The basic flying concept for the new IOTA DLS comes from the extremely successful and high performing SIGMA 11. The profile characteristics of this big brother have been adopted, adjusted to meet the requirements of the high B class. A marked IOTA DLS performance step up is the result. The effective Pitch-Control-System gives a flying feel similar to a two-liner. An element of C level control inputs to the B level, thus maintaining profile shape when C-controlling while accelerated.
- The extreme flight behaviour and passive safety of the new IOTA DLS have been greatly improved compared to its predecessor. Ideal tuning of lift distribution with fabric tension much improves turbulence absorption, without losing important pilot feedback from air mass effects. An agreeable sense of comfort in flight enables you to enjoy relaxed and fatigue-free flying over long distances.
- Quality technical design does away with IOTA DLS upper C-wires, making the IOTA DLS even easier and more compact to pack – after flight.
Why does the IOTA 3 become the IOTA DLS?
- Although pilots and dealers like products to be as light as possible, their feedback tells us that they are becoming increasingly reluctant to accept the degree of compromise in robustness and glider life that can go with light gliders. This demand has taken its time to become evident because pilots only become aware of the weaknesses of ultra-light products after using them for a while. Unless given special care, ultra-light gliders can suffer subtle but permanent airfoil deformation which may have a lasting effect on flight behaviour and performance. Porosity of lightweight fabrics might also become an issue associated with intensive use.
- So we decided to confront this problem with our DLS concept, and develop a product that meets this wide spectrum of demands. Our many years experience of developing X-Alps equipment has helped us with this set of subjects. Computer-aided analysis enabled us to focus, in great detail, on those areas of a paraglider which are exposed to high stress, and therefore deserve specific attention. This allows us to selectively decide on the mix of lightweight and conventional materials to use, but, above all, design the best geometric shapes of individual components such as diagonals, tension bands or rib crossports in an economic way that also eliminates weaknesses in durability and robustness.
Is THE IOTA DLS not just a IOTA 3 with a light undersurface?
- No: the 27gm fabric for the wing undersurface only saves around 100 gms, depending on glider size. Total weight saving subtracts more than four times this figure. Because the IOTA DLS is up to 600 g lighter than its predecessor.
- The sum of many small but important details means that the new IOTA DLS is a lightweight glider. Nevertheless, components that are important for durability, such as the ribs, are made of particularly low-stretch materials. The DLS difference comes from an intelligent material mix, fabric weight saving at less stressed areas, a re-analysis of sliced diagonal shapes, geometrically optimized tension straps and, last but not least, the softlinks option.
Will there be another new light high-B from Advance?
- The XI is still the current light model in our range. Since with a weight starting from 3.9 kg the IOTA DLS can now also be assigned to the light glider category, no further High-B glider is currently planned as a light version.