Three-Liner | Cells: 33 | Aspect Ratio: 4.4 | Weight: 2.1 kg - Size 17 (EN/LTF A)
Add to basket
DoubleSkin - Minimalist hike & fly
The DoubleSkin is the lightest paraglider in the world* with top and under surface (2.1 kg / size 17). It has a very small pack size and is a delight in the air thanks to better aerodynamics compared to a single-surface wing. With the DOUBLESKIN walking up is as enjoyable as flying and landing!
(*by same flat surface area, with EN-certification, with the Ultralight Riser and without taking single-skin wings into account. As: 06/19)
Performance under pressure
- As far back as 2006 (when we were working on the Rookie, DHV 1-2) we were considering how we could reduce the loss of internal wing pressure during accelerated flight. The solution: we changed the cell openings so that during acceleration the intake area is not as reduced than in a conventional cell opening. The idea is similar to the ram-air inlet duct on a sports car: the more intake area the more charging and internal pressure. Since the Rookie we have continued to develop and optimise the Air Scoop. Today most of our paragliders are fitted with the Air Scoop. It improves the collapse resistance, particularly in accelerated flight, and simultaneously increases performance. So this feature is good for both safety and performance.
Compact and safe
- The aspect ratio of a glider is not the only factor in passive safety, but still a very important one. For this reason our wings have the aspect ratio they require. Our design motto is as much as necessary, as little as possible.
- Generally, a lower aspect ratio improves what is called the ‘compactness’ in technical jargon, which is the feeling of having a solid wing above you; that handles well and appears to have enough mechanical strength to withstand collapses.
- As a rule, higher aspect ratio leads to more demanding flying characteristics. After collapses there is the danger of cravats. Our goal is to produce less demanding wings.
- In addition to the standard 3D Shaping there is a Zig-zag 3D Shaping seam on each cell. The advantage is that this seam doesn’t run in the direction of the spanwise force. This means the seam runs more cleanly and is more aerodynamically advantageous. This innovation reduces the creases in the leading edge.
One for all
One for all. The DOUBLESKIN has been designed to allow a flying experience without any compromises. Due to the light construction it combines the advantages of a single-surface wing with the optimal flying characteristics of a glider with an under surface. Ultra-light fabrics and a highly weight optimised yet complex internal structure complete the package. The DOUBLESKIN gives you the opportunity to travel super light and enjoy your hike up the mountain – always in search for the next take off. Tip: Pilots with a take off weight between 75-90 kg may fly the DOUBLESKIN in size 17 within the extended weight range as a dynamic EN/LTF B wing.
Every Gram Counts.
Size 17 (55 - 90 kg Take-off Weight) weighs only 2.1 kg. Together with the MONTIS harness (320 gram), the DOUBLESKIN is an ideal base for a weight optimised Hike & Fly kit. The complex internal structure, including mini-ribs, vector-tape and the high number of cells, the wing has also an excellent performance and stability. Instead of our Light Risers you can choose our minimalistic Ultralight Risers at check out and carry another 60 grams less.
Into The Wind.
The DOUBLESKIN is exceptional at maintaining directional stability as well as a good glide ratio allowing it to deliver when you are in ‘need for speed’. Here at NOVA we regard this as one of the safety features of the wing, since the wind does not necessarily adhere to the forecast on your hike & fly location. The DOUBLESKIN is a pleasure to fly in thermic conditions, thanks to its intuitive handling. Pilots who are looking for a super light yet playful wing, and who wish to travel the world, or simply complete a hike and fly challenge at their local flying site, find in the DOUBLESKIN the perfect companion for their next adventure.
The short lines of the DOUBLESKIN make it much easier to spread the wing and launch, in particular in rough terrain - it simply requires less open space. Thanks to useful holding-pins the glider will stay in place even on very steep or snow-covered take-offs. All the main lines, stabilo lines and brake lines are sheathed and colour coded to increase durability and to facilitate take off preparations. By the way: When buying a NOVA wing, and after registering it under myNOVA, it includes our unique one-off protection against accidents and mishaps for one year after purchasing. We exchange lines and replace damaged cells (excess: € 50 + postage and VAT). Is your wing beyond repair we offset the replacement value when buying a new one. You can use NOVA protect within the first year at most once. Please note: In order to benefit from NOVA-Protect it is necessary to register your product under myNOVA within 14 days of your purchase.
EN-A \ EN-B