The GTO 2 is a well-finished wing that we are confident will appeal to competitively-minded XC pilots who like to fly far and travel light.
|Location||Fee (per item)|
The GTO 2 is a high performance wing, suitable for a wide range of experienced XC pilots—from improving, ambitious pilots transitioning from sports class, to competition pilots who wish to fly a more compact wing within a wider comfort zone. The GTO 2 slots into our range between the Carrera (performance) and Boomerang 10 (competition).
High performance pedigree
GTO—"Gran Turismo Omologato"—denotes a "street-legal" race car. GIN's original GTO was conceived in this spirit back in the days of the "serial class". Although technology has evolved considerably since then, the GTO 2 shares two important characteristics with its earlier namesake: the wing broadly appeals to the same group of experienced XC pilots, and the design features are strongly influenced by the technology from our Boomerang series of competition gliders.
A well-rounded XC machine
Take-offs in the widest variety of flyable conditions are possible, and the precise control at low speeds provides an extra safety margin, especially when landing out in unforgiving terrain. Due to the EPT airfoil and optimized sail tension, the GTO 2 is compact, cohesive and precise in the turn with an exceptional climb rate. On glide, the wing is comfortable in normal turbulence and stable at speed. And with an aspect ratio close to 7, the GTO 2 has the glide performance to get you to the next thermal ahead of the pack. You can simply keep your mind on your route and kick back and enjoy the view.
Next generation lightness
With more and more pilots recognizing the improved flying characteristics of lighter wings, weight reduction was an important consideration in the development of the GTO 2. Besides drawing on the experiences from our X-Alps project, we carried out extensive materials and structural research. With the strategic use of the latest Porcher Sport Skytex 32g and 27g materials and advanced construction techniques, we were able to achieve increased structural strength (Peak load test: 1.662daN / EN load over 3 sec: 1.362daN) whilst also improving the overall flight behaviour. Naturally, the light weight also confers benefits when hiking to take-offs or when stepping onto a crowded bus on the way home after a long adventure!
Overall, the GTO 2 is a well-finished wing that we are confident will appeal to competitively-minded XC pilots who like to fly far and travel light.
- 3 lines spanwise / 3 risers
- Optimized airfoil with Equalized Pressure Technology (EPT) for stability and performance
- Fully unsheathed lines (mix of Aramid and Dyneema)
- Optimized internal construction and line attachment points to maintain even sail tension
- Mini-ribs on the trailing edge improve handling and performance
- Kickdown speed system with Harken pulleys
- Gathering (reefing) system on the trailing edge
- Optional pulley-less Dyneema riser for additional weight savings
- Upper surface leading edge: Porcher Skytex, 32 g/m2
- Upper surface: Porcher Skytex, 27 g/m2
- Lower surface: Porcher Skytex, 27 g/m2
- Upper: Liros / Edelrid DC60 / 9200-030 Dyneema
- Middle: Edelrid 8000/U-190 /U-120/U-090 /U-070 Aramid
- Main / Brake: Edelrid 8000/U-280 /U-230/U-190 /U-120 Aramid
For the optional light Dyneema riser, soft shackles can be used to connect the riser to the glider lines.
|GLIDER WEIGHT *||4.0kg*||4.1kg||4.25kg||4.4kg|
|WEIGHT IN FLIGHT||70-85kg*||80-95kg||90-105kg||100-115kg|